The best entrepreneurs in Western Australia were recognised at the annual Ernst & Young Entrepreneur Of The Year Western region awards ceremony last night, with Rory Vassallo and Aaron Begley amongst the winners.
Held at the Burswood Entertainment Complex, the 2011 Entrepreneur Of The Year Western region winners were:
- Emerging – Rory Vassallo, Vassallo Corporation;
- Industry – Gene Kostecki, Alloy Steel International;
- Services – Ky Cao, Perth Energy Pty Ltd; and
- Technology – Aaron Begley, Matrix Composites & Engineering Ltd.
Also recognised in the non-competitive regional award categories were:
- Listed – Michael Malone, iiNet;
- Social entrepreneur – Professor Michael Henderson and Professor Bruce Robinson, International Skills and Training Institute in Health; and
- Champion of Entrepreneurship – Andrew Forrest, Fortescue Metals Group.
Ernst & Young Perth Office Managing Partner Mike Anghie said the calibre of this year’s nominees and winners demonstrate entrepreneurship is alive and well across the state.
He said the Western region winners and award recipients will contend for the title of 2011 Australian Ernst & Young Entrepreneur Of The Year at the national awards in November.
“The Australian winner will then go on to compete in the Ernst & Young World Entrepreneur Of The Year awards in Monte Carlo next year.”
“Last year, Western Australian nominee John Spence of The Karma Royal Group was named Australian Entrepreneur Of The Year for 2010 and represented the country at the World Entrepreneur Of The Year awards, following in the footsteps of previous Western Australian based National winners John Rothwell and Rod Jones.”
Ernst & Young Entrepreneur Of The Year is a prestigious business award and the only truly global program of its kind, with 140 cities participating from over 50 countries.