How to get a pay rise in tough times
In such a tough economic climate, it is becoming increasingly difficult for employees to retain their jobs, let alone even consider the prospect of a pay rise. CareerOne.com.au has ten top tips on how to successfully pitch for a pay rise in tough times.
- Don’t just sit back and expect a pay rise.
- Let the boss know you will be making a case for a pay rise in writing.
- Next document your achievements.
- Compare what you do in reality to your job description to demonstrate what you do beyond what you get paid to do.
- Include any extra responsibilities due to redundancies.
- Research salaries by checking with a recruitment consultant and the surveys in the Salary Centre on CareerOne.com.au
- Let the boss have your pitch and give him/her time to read through it alone.
- If the boss doesn’t set up meeting time, follow up.
- When asking for pay rise stay calm. Don’t whine or threaten.
- Have a list of non-monetary rewards ready in case there is no money for a pay rise.