No matter what your industry or what product or service you are selling, you can never know too much about your target market.
Having in depth information can help you target your strategy, and better connect with your prospective customers. When you are marketing your business directly to consumers (B2C), there is plenty of information available that can help you improve your chances of success.
With the recent release of the 2011 Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) census figures comes a large number of statistics and information about the Australian population as a whole. Much of this information, as well as being interesting in its own right, can be an invaluable marketing resource, and can help you better identify and relate to your target market.
Here are 10 facts and figures that might help you with your B2C marketing approach:
- The median age of the Australian population is 37
- There is an average of 1.9 children per family
- 61% of Australians classify themselves as Christian
- Same sex couples are on the rise – by 32% since 2006
- 70% of Australian households have broadband internet
- 19% of Australian households have no internet connection at all
- 14% of the population are 65 years of age or older
- The median household weekly income is $1,234
- 26% of the population were born overseas, with 21% of these being born in the UK (the most common country of origin)
- 2.6 is the average number of people per household
If you are looking to market B2C, it is well worth doing your research and learning as much as you can about your target audience. Targeting groups of consumers can be made far more effective by having in depth knowledge of their demographics, and where they are located.
In addition to giving a general overview of the Australian population, census data can be broken down into regional areas, which is perfect for those who are looking to target consumers in a specific location. If you are not sure where your target market lives or works, census data can be a great way to find out and help you avoid wasting time and money on marketing efforts in the wrong place. You may even discover potential new markets where you never expected!
There are many ways in which B2C marketers and businesses can benefit from looking at the most recent ABS information.
Even if you conduct regular research and believe you have knowledge of your industry and audience, things can change rapidly, and keeping up to date with the constantly evolving Australian population, their demographics and different groupings, can help you stay current. With so much information readily available, there is no reason not to make the most of it and use it to benefit your business and marketing.