April ’06 Tech Files
We check out the latest backup, recovery and storage technology for SMEs.
1) Hard Drive
With easy installation, automatic backups and simple storage management, the new Maxtor OneTouch II SBE is ideal for small and medium business Windows servers. The drive is capable of backing up to 300GB of compressed files and emails, without the nuisance of changing tapes, CDs or DVDs. Maxtor’s set-up wizard has a default setting which automatically backs up everything on the server’s local disk drives, and emails are generated to notify users when the backup is complete.
• Automated unattended backups
• Schedules for server backups set by users
• Storage management automatically purges older versions of files to maintain capacity level of the drive
Product: Maxtor OneTouch II Small Business Edition (SBE)
2) Computer Security
Computer Associates’ Protection Suites r2 deliver multi-layered protection in a neat package for SMEs. The six suites in the range have anti-virus, anti-spyware, desktop migrator, desktop and server backup protection, and security. CA protection suites can restore Windows-based laptop and desktop computers, enabling IT managers to quickly and easily backup and recover critical information from a single console, so user productivity and business activity won’t be affected.
• Six suites to choose from including Desktop Protection Suite and Business Protection Suite
• Easy installation, with user-friendly post-installation checklist
• Free upgrade
Product: CA Protection Suites r2
RRP: Varies depending on type of suite. See website for details.
3) SanDisk Cruzer Profile
SanDisk’s Cruzer Profile USB drive with high-security fingerprint swipe offers the ultimate in data protection. The device allows users to access any Windows PC without having to install software, and without leaving any information on the computer once finished. The Cruzer Profile includes trial versions of PocketCache (backup) and CruzerSync (synchronisation) software.
• Compatibility with Windows 2000 and XP
• Slide-on cap protects sensor for safe travel
• Less than one second sensor delay
• Available in 512MB and 1GB
Product: SanDisk Cruzer Profile
RRP: 1GB $275*
4) Data Recovery
GetData’s Recover My Files series offers solutions for lost or deleted files. The software recognises deleted files by their internal file structure, and comes with the added bonus of a preview screen, so you can view and select the exact files you need to recover. Recovery packs within the series include data recovery for deleted email, documents, archives, photos, music and video.
• Deleted file recovery, even if emptied from the recycle bin
• Formatted hard drive recovery, even after Windows has been reinstalled
• Hard disk file recovery after crashes
• File recovery from camera card, USB, zip, floppy disk or other removable media
Product: GetData Recover My Files series
RRP: $69.95 for single computer, $270 for 10 computers, $850 for 50 computers*
5) Portable Hard Drive
With a scratch-free and shock-resistant rubber shell, the Lacie portable hard drive is ideal for extra storage protection while travelling. Plug it into any PC or Mac with a USB port for archiving or backing up anywhere, anytime. The durable outer surface makes it resistant to harsh elements, and any bumps or drops.
• Drop-resistant rubber bumper
• Hi-Speed USB 2.0 bus-powered, plug and play
• Driver-free for Windows 2000/XP and MAC OS X
• Lacie backup software
• Available in 80GB, 100GB and 120GB
Product: Lacie Rugged Hard Drives
RRP: 80GB $399, 100GB $689, 120GB $649*
6) Email Archive
There’s nothing worse than returning to work after a holiday break to find one of the 426 new emails in your inbox contains a virus that’s corrupted your entire computer and prevented all access to your folders, email content and contacts. Rather than break down on your first day back, try installing EMC’s EmailXtender. With a much shorter recovery period than the time-consuming process of backup tapes, EMC EmailXtender could be the answer to a crisis-free work environment.
• Reduces user time spent managing PST files
• Optimised search, retrieval and management of email archives
• Reduces backup and storage times by up to 80 percent
Product: EMC EmailXtender, Archive Edition
RRP: $30 per user (minimum of 50 mailboxes)*
*All prices correct as of April 2006